Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Leaving for Uganda

I leave for Uganda tomorrow at 1030 am (weather permitting...knock on wood).
As some of you know, this past week has been consumed by a run-in with the State Department and a blizzard so my impending departure is nothing short of a minor miracle. From these experiences, I have learned two important lessons that I'd like to share with you:
Lesson 1: No news is good news
Last Tuesday, Peace Corps' travel agency contacted me for the first time since I sent in my forms two months earlier to inform me that my passports (both government-issued and personal) had been sent to Nairobi, Kenya. After confirming that there was no logical reason to send my passports to Kenya, the travel agent assured me that he would check with the State Department and that I should not stress because he was already stressed enough for the both of us. The State Department saved the day (along with the trusty travel agent)! It issued a new government passport for me, arranged for my reunion with my personal passport in Uganda and so remedied what it referred to as a "freak accident."
Lesson 2: The Peace Corps is very similar to the USPS
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." Aka as long as it doesn't snow too much tonight, I'll be on that plane tomorrow.
All in all, I am incredibly excited and look forward to sharing this experience with you all.

6 comments:

  1. Glad everything worked out!! Good luck, Heather!! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I cant wait to hear about your amazing adventure. Stay safe and keep us in the loop!

    Nishant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mother and I will be following you every step of the way. That is Mother's forehead as my picture ~ obviously, the upload did not go well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mother says to tell you that she "wishes you all the luck in the world and is eager to hear every word you write."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck Heather! I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures!-Steady

    ReplyDelete